CLASSES FOR ACTORS AND WRITERS
2018 ALLIANCE AUDITIONS
David Rainey, Instructor
3 Sessions - $150.00
Session 1: Monday, June 4th - 6:30-9:30pm
Session 2: Monday, June 11th - 6:30-9:30pm
Session 3: Monday, June 18h - 6:30-9:30pm
Class Location: Alley Theatre, 615 Texas Avenue
"I've coached hundreds of actors throughout the years, towards various goals, and individual guidance always makes a difference. But an audition prep class not only helps actors carefully prepare and gain an outside perspective, but it provides the advantage of watching other actors being coached to improve their work. We often learn as much or more by watching others grapple with problems than we do by working on problems of our own. This class will give you a safe environment to dot your 'i's and cross your 't's over several weeks so that you can confidently make a strong impression.
Don't take needless chances with your opportunity to put your best foot forward. Join me, and get the coaching you need to be successful."
1. This class is speciffically to prepare for the Alliance Auditions, therefore all actors in the class must have a confirmed slot at the audition. 2018 Alliance Auditions are June 23-24
2. On the first day, bring in more than two audition pieces (preferablly 3-4), even if you are sure of the pairing you wish io present.
3. Monologues should be memorized or close to it. We will not be selecting monologues, but shaping them, so come prepared with peices that you feel suit you well and might showcase you best at the audition.
4. We will work on anything you bring in, but know that material that is not from a theatrical source, i.e. from a play or musical, is not recommmentded. Peices from movies, books, pop culture or self written monologues are risky, so choose wisely.
5. Try to read the plays your monologues come from. The more information you have about the plays and characters, the more you'll have to work with.
DAVID RAINEY has been a member of the Alley Theatre’s Resident Company for the past 17 years, and is the Executive Artistic Director of The Landing Theatre Company. A graduate of The Juilliard School, he received the Juilliard Theatre Center’s top honor, The Michel and Suria Saint-Denis Prize, and over the years has received numerous awards and nominations of his work as an actor and director. As a teacher he has taught hundreds of actors in Houston, at all levels. On stage he has performed for Steppenwolf Theatre Company, the National Actors Theatre, the Guthrie Theatre, Joseph Papp Public Theatre, Theatre de la Jeune Lune, Berkeley Repertory Theatre, Hartford Stage Company, Manhattan Theatre Club, The Acting Company, New York Shakespeare Festival, Repertory Theatre of St. Louis, Ford’s Theatre, Asolo Theatre Company, Dallas Theatre Center, Shakespeare Festival LA, Crossroads Theatre Company, among others. On television he has appeared on Law & Order, Cosby, Vengeance Unlimited, As the World Turns, and One Life to Live. Film credits include North Starr, Hell Swarm, Starforce, Lowball, Multifacial, The 'M' Word, Brushing Death and Don’t Go There. In addition to professional classes, he offers ongoing private coaching for actors.